Under the supervision of the Nurse Practitioner Supervisor, provides primary health care to long term care patients, which includes assessment and development of Plan of care in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team, provision of direct patient care and evaluation of effectiveness of plan of care. The Nurse Practitioner (NP) functions and collaborative relationship with physicians and other health professionals making independent decisions about nursing needs and collaborative decisions with physicians regarding health regimens. Assumes dependent responsibilities in carrying out delegated medical acts. The quality of care is under the direction of the Senior Medical Director
- Obtains a complete health history and records findings.
- Performs physical examinations, functional status evaluations, and/or mental status evaluations, orders and evaluates appropriate laboratory and diagnostic tests, and records findings.
- Identifies and describes behavioral patterns of the chronically ill associated with developmental processes, lifestyle, and family relationships
ANALYSIS, DECISION MAKING
- Discriminates between normal and abnormal findings associated with aging, pathological processes, lifestyles and/or family relationships as influenced by chronic illness.
- Exercises clinical judgment in differentiating between situations.
- Confounded by acute chronic health status change, which the Nurse Practitioner can manage, and those, which require consultations and/or referrals.
- Interprets screenings and selected diagnostic tests
- Managing, Planning, Treating, Evaluating
- Provides preventative health care, episodic care and arranges referrals as needed
- Manages common self-limiting and or episodic health problems within scope of practice and according to current practice guidelines
- Manages stabilized chronic illnesses in collaboration with physicians according to current practice guidelines.
- Prescribes and adjusts medications within the scope of prescriptive authority and current practice guidelines
- Recommends symptomatic treatments and non-prescription medicines
- Assists clients and families to assure greater responsibility for their own health maintenance and illness care by providing instruction, counseling, and guidance
- Monitors patients in nursing home, to provide continuity of care and assists in discharge planning
Master’s degree in nursing with completion of accredited program for nurse practitioners (family, adult, or geriatric) required. ANCC certification, current State of New York RN and Advance Practice Nurse Prescriber licenses and Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) registration required
ESSEN HEALTH CARE IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Essen Health care is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically diverse population.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.